Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Well, it's been too hot here lately to do any painting on the skins if I'm to follow the directions on the paints. Sooooooo...I decided to start working on some other projects to keep me in the creative mode. First up, I've been wanting to tackle a Stormtrooper Blaster (aka., Blastech E-11). This was made famous by the Stormtroopers in the original 1977 Star Wars (Episode IV, A New Hope).
Instead of spending a small fortune on a replica from Master Replicas, or ordering a Hyperfirm, I decided to go with a modified Hasbro and a resin modification kit from Doopy Doos. Jibberish? Well, let me show ya what I'm talking about.
Here's the box from the Hasbro Blaster which can currently be found on the shelves of most department store Toy Sections. I got this one from Walmart for $17.00.
As you can see, the white blaster has no realism to it at all...hey, it's a kids toy. But, it's pretty darn close in size to the real prop, so it's a great foundation to start from.
Next up, I took it all apart, ground off all the manufacturing marks (Copyrights, CE notices, logos, etc, and removed all the electronics. Taking the electronics out is an individual choice. I needed to for reasons which will become aparent in just a moment.
After taking it all apart, I then hit it with gray primer along with all the resin details. (This is all still a work in progress)
Here's all the pieces simply placed onto the weapon to give some idea of what it's looking like.
I also cut out the ejection port.
I also trimmed out a bunch of the interior structural support that was used to hold the electronics, speaker, etc., in place.
This allowed me to cut a piece of aluminum tubing to fit inside and create my own "Bolt".
Finally, to really begin setting this plastic piece apart from the Hasbro look, I cut out the scope rail and the recoil spring slot which runs the length of the tail of the rifle.
Plenty more sanding and priming work to be done, but at least the blaster is well on it's way.
Next up, I started work on my Clone Trooper bucket.
This is a Clone6 bucket (#24).
First up was trimming out the visor area:
That was accomplished by scoring it with a good sharp box knife until it practically popped out...not as hard as I thought it was going to be.
Next, I drilled the holes out of the mouth or teeth and filed them pretty smooth.
Lastly, I began sanding and filing all the rough edges and resin seam lines from the mold. Bondo work will be the next step.
WHEW!!! I do believe that's about enough for one night! Check back soon!