Saturday, March 5, 2011

C3PO GETS HIS SIGHT



It took some doing, and I'm glad I'm not building this to wear because it allows me to utilize space inside the helmet for electronics that I wouldn't normally have. I was able to finish up the electronics and paint for the eyes and lenses last night.

First up, I went to Radio Shack and picked up 6 white LED's and 3 resistors ($10.00). Following a schematic I got from L.E.D. Calculator Dot Net, I was able to successfully wire up the 6 lights and get them installed into the eyes.

However, they were INTENSELY bright and I needed to figure out a way to cut back on some of the brightness. So, after a few quick experiments, I discovered a simple piece of yellow construction paper inserted between the lights and the lenses gave it that nice golden glow. Additionally, with the lights off, it still retained some of that gold color.

Here's a few shots. Next up, neck bolts and designing a way to make the two havles of the head stay joined together. Velcro, magnets, something. Not sure yet.


1 comment: