Friday, June 4, 2010

MAKING ARMOR


This last weekend (Memorial Day Weekend), I had the distinct pleasure of meeting up with some of my fellow 501st Members and "Pulling" my own set of Clone Trooper Armor. It'll take a lot of work to get it ready to troop in (trimming, painting, etc.), but it was a lot of fun learning how to make armor using sheet styrene and a vacuum table.

Have you ever wondered how some of that cool Hollywood armor is made for characters like the Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers. Here's a quick Video Clip of us making the back upper thigh piece of my armor. What you'll see is:

1) The plaster positive of the mold (called a "Buck") sitting on the vacuum table
2) The sheet styrene heating up and being pulled down over the "Buck"
3) The vacuum being turned on
4) The Armor being removed from the frame

It's a pretty interesting process and was a lot of fun.



After it's all said and done, I'm going to go with one of these two armor paint schemes for my Clone Trooper.




I don't anticipate doing much work to the armor any time soon because I want to focus on R2. But, it's another future fun project.

No comments:

Post a Comment