Tuesday, August 21, 2012


This X-Wing Pilot helmet (Luke Skywalker's from A New Hope) was an interesting learning experience.  There was a lot of small brushwork that needed to be done because I didn't want to spend the money for decals.  So, I'm figuring out what not to do next time!  (I have another one of these to paint up in the future)

Here it is with all the primary painting finished.  My 45 year old hands are not as steady as they used to be, and I found a LOT of jaggy little lines on some of the small details.  I suspect, once I start scratching it up and weathering it, a lot of that will not be as noticeable.  I'm still pretty happy with the preliminary results. 

One of the lesson's I learned was to get some NARROW masking tape...I don't have any right now....like maybe 3/8" or so.  There's a LOT of curved masking that needs to be done on this helmet and the narrow tape will help facilitate that process.

Anyway, here's the shot without weathering and scratches.  Still need to mount the visor, chin cup & strap, black trim and the Mic tip.

Hopefully this weekend:

No comments:

Post a Comment