Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cinematic History?


Tonight, December 29th, 2009, my son and I went to see the 10:30pm showing of James Cameron's AVATAR in Real3D at our local cinema. I was cautiously looking forward to it...and we are SO VERY glad we went.

For anyone out there who is contemplating whether or not to see this film, I'll put in my two cents.

First off, you MUST see this film in Real3D. It is probably the ONLY way to see this film. Looking back, only an hour after the film is over, I can honestly say it would have been a good film, but the grand scale of the story truly comes to life in 3D. The Real3D technology used to bring the images to life will NOT give you a headache. At two and a half hours, not once did I need to take my glasses off. For those who aren't used to wearing glasses, like my son, the worst that will happen is the top ridge of your ear will get a little sore, like wearing sunglasses for too long. You will find yourself in the fictional world of Pandora once you put on those glasses.

Second, WETA, Peter Jackson's movie production studio, has done a superb job of making you believe everything you see on screen. The characters are so incredibly rich and detailed, you'll forget you're watching a computer animation.

For those who are worried about age limits, there is some strong language in the film, along with a few suggestive romantic moments.

We may have just witnessed the bar being raised a little bit higher for film making. I can only imagine what Star Wars would have looked like in this Real3D technology. WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment