Saturday, January 17, 2009

So..."What's with this crazy obsession?"

That seems to be a question a lot of people have asked me lately. First off, let me just say it's not an obsession, it's a hobby. Just like collecting stamps, coins, drawing cartoons, painting, playing cards, video games, reading books, or anything else people do for enjoyment. Think of it this way:
1) I get to work with my hands
2) I'm building something
3) I've got a goal in mind
4) I'm teaching myself some new skills working with unfamiliar materials

In the end, what am I going to do with the thing? Well, to be honest, I plan on making a LOT of people smile!!!!! You should see the faces of people who get around an R2-D2 at an event or gathering. Everyone knows who he is and everyone loves him! Especially the children. And...that brings me to why I wanted to post this entry.

Here's a link to a very special independent film that talks about this very unique hobby of Star Wars Costuming and showing up as characters from a movie. Watch the previews...

http://www.heartofanempire.com/

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot...what got me started in this whole thing to begin with. I just completely finished my Darth Vader suit (an exact movie replica as seen in the latest installment of the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith). It took almost 2 1/2 years to complete and includes:
-a custom made leather suit
-custom black robe
-huge flowing capes
-over 22 pounds of fiberglass armor and helmet
-leather gloves
-electronic lights
-a custom electronic voice system, which alters my voice and produces LIVE breathing sounds
-an intensely bright lightsaber replica made of polished stainless steel and modern electronics

So, that's just a summary of my "crazy obsession". What's after R2? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment